Animal Science Student Among Goldwater Scholarship Award Winners

April 22, 2010 under CANR News

Four University of Delaware students — Amanda Lee Welch, a junior animal science major, Michael G. Napolitano, a senior biochemistry major, Patrick Robert Devlin, a senior mathematical sciences major, and Mark Clayton Weidman, a senior chemical engineering major –have been awarded scholarships by the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation.

The scholarship program, honoring the late U.S. Sen. Barry M. Goldwater of Arizona, is designed to encourage outstanding students to pursue careers in the fields of mathematics, the natural sciences and engineering.

The Goldwater Scholarship, the premier undergraduate award of its type in these fields, covers the cost of tuition, fees, books and room and board up to $7,500 per year.

This marks the first time that all four University of Delaware nominees have received the award.

According to the Goldwater Foundation press release, the four University of Delaware students were selected on the basis of academic merit from a field of 1,111 mathematics, science and engineering students who were nominated by the faculties of colleges and universities nationwide.

Amanda Lee Welch

Welch said she was “very surprised, excited and flattered” when she found out she won the award.

“I realize there are not many of these scholarships given out and I feel very honored,” she said. “I heard all four UD nominees received the award this year and that makes me feel very proud of my University.”

Welch said she plans to attend a research-based veterinary school to pursue a combined doctor of veterinary medicine (DVM) and Ph.D. degree to explore disease etiology for biomedical applications.

As to those who helped her along the way to attaining the Goldwater Scholarship, Welch said, “I have to thank my research mentor Dr. Bob Dyer (associate professor in the Department of Animal and Food Sciences) for being a wonderful teacher and furthering my interests and experiences in research and scientific exploration, and for assisting me with the Goldwater application.”

Welch also cited Sue Serra, coordinator in the Office of Service Learning who “played a huge role in helping me decipher my discontinuous thoughts about my future into a coherent idea of my graduate school and career plans and I thank her greatly for the assistance.”

Read the full story on UDaily.

Share

You must be logged in to post a comment.