Mother-daughter duo Patty and Amanda Welch graduate together

May 31, 2011 under CANR News

For Patty and Amanda Welch, University of Delaware Commencement was an extra special day. While most parents looked on and cheered their children as they received their diplomas on Saturday, May 28, the mother-daughter duo were each other’s greatest cheerleaders as they graduated together.

“I am very excited and grateful to Amanda for sharing this experience with me,” said Patty Welch, who will graduate with a bachelor’s degree in accounting from the Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics. “A few years ago I was planning out my schedule and realized by squeezing in a few extra classes I could graduate with her. She seemed to like the idea, too.”

Amanda Welch, who will graduate from the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, said she is proud of her mother for going back to school and finishing her degree while also working full time.

“I know she worked hard to take enough classes while also working full-time to be able to graduate with me and I know she’s excited about it,” she said.

Amanda Welch acknowledged that it felt unique to be graduating with her mother. “Not many people are in college at the same time as their parents, let alone at the same university,” she said.

According to Patty Welch, another generation will also be sharing the experience. “My mother waited almost 20 years for this, and she will be flying in to finally see my graduation with the added benefit of seeing Amanda graduate, too,” she said.

Read more at UDaily > >

Article by Kathryn A. Marrone and Adam Thomas

Photo by Mark Campbell

Share

You must be logged in to post a comment.