Chick’s Discount Saddlery is hosting the 8th annual Delaware Horse Expo Saturday, March 17 and Sunday, March 18 at the Delaware State Fairgrounds in Harrington, DE. This two-day event will feature clinics, demonstrations, educational seminars, and commercial vendors.
This year will also include the University of Delaware Equine Seminar Series, sponsored by University of Delaware Cooperative Extension and the Delaware Equine Council.
The seminar will feature presentations on equine nutrition and health, selection of horses and costs associated with horse ownership, spring pasture management strategies, breeding management, the human-horse interaction, and equine trails.
The full list of speakers is below, with the topic of their presentations in bold.
Saturday, March 17
- 10:30 a.m. Dr. Carissa Wickens, Assistant Professor and Equine Extension Specialist, University of Delaware. The Economics of Horse Ownership.
- 11:30 a.m. Laura Florence, AFA Certified Farrier, Holistic Hoof Care. Hoof Care and Hoof Health.
- 12:30 p.m. Peggy Koster, and Mary Everhart, Delaware Equine Council. Trails.
- 1:30 p.m. Alex Brown – Author, Barbaro and His Legacy. The Horse and Human Connection and Inspiration of Barbaro.
- 2:30 p.m. Dr. Tamara Dobbie, DVM, Diplomate ACT – Hoffman Center for Large Animal Reproduction, New Bolton Center, University of Pennsylvania. Managing the Pregnant Mare and Newborn Foal.
- 3:30 p.m. Dr. Martin Adams – Nutritionist and Feeds Manager with Southern States. Basic Equine Nutrition.
Sunday, March 18
- 10:30 a.m. Dr. Ashley Boyle, DVM, Assistant Professor, Department of Clinical Studies – New Bolton Center, University of Pennsylvania. Equine Vaccination and Disease Prevention.
- 11:30 a.m. Dr. Tamara Dobbie, DVM, Diplomate ACT – Hoffman Center for Large Animal Reproduction, New Bolton Center, University of Pennsylvania. Getting Your Mare and Stallion Ready for the Breeding Season.
- 12:30 p.m. Dr. Martin Adams – Nutritionist and Feeds Manager with Southern States. Nutrition for Common Equine Health Issues.
- 1:30 p.m. Dr. Richard Taylor, Agronomy Specialist, University of Delaware. Managing Springtime Pastures.
- 2:30 p.m. Dr. Carissa Wickens, Assistant Professor and Equine Extension Specialist, University of Delaware. Selection of Horses.
For more information, visit the website