On August 14, the first year fellows traveled south for a visit to the City of Baltimore’s Cylburn Arboretum. Bill Vondrasek, LGP alumnus and Chief Horticulturalist of the Bureau of Parks Horticultural Division, offered a behind-the-scenes tour of the gardens as well as current construction projects, including a new “green” Visitor and Education Center and a renovated horticulture building. Natalie Lopes, the Executive Director of the Cylburn Arboretum Association, joined us for lunch and shared her vision for enhancing community engagement through a new horticulture-training program for young adults. Our day concluded with a spontaneous visit to the nearby Howard Peters Rawlings Conservatory and Botanic Gardens of Baltimore—another lovely public garden managed by the City of Baltimore.
- Filoli = “FIght for a just cause; LOve your fellow man; LIve a good life.”
- San Francisco Botanical Garden and Conservatory of Flowers
- The Garden on a Hill: UC Botanical Garden at Berkeley
- Co-Creation at UC Davis Arboretum
- North American Experience Trip – Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens and Muir Woods