Kate Everts, Vegetable Pathologist, University of Delaware and University of Maryland; firstname.lastname@example.org
The following is a very brief overview of recent fungicide registrations and new updates that may be of use to vegetable growers in 2012. This is not meant to be a comprehensive list. Also, I have not run research trials for most of these product uses, and therefore cannot say anything about efficacy in comparison to other products. Remember to follow all label directions carefully. Before use, check each label for rates, information on resistance management, tank mix incompatibilities and other information.
- · Prophyte and some other phosphorous acid fungicides are available for use on bean cottony leak (Pythium cottony leak).
- · Quintec now has a Section 2ee label for the suppression of bacterial leaf spot on pepper in some states in the mid-Atlantic (including DE and MD, but not PA).
- · Both chlorothalonil and Manzate Pro Stick labels have added anthracnose fruit rot on pepper.
- · The Ranman label now includes spinach white rust as well as club root and downy mildew of cole crops (brassicas).
- · Quilt Xcel and Stratego YLD are labeled for sweet corn rust.
- · A new OMRI approved copper, Nordox, has a broad label that includes many vegetables and use in the greenhouse on some crops.
- · Quash fungicide is labeled on potato and sweet potato for many diseases including early blight and white mold.
- · A label expansion for Cabrio lists management of stem rots caused by Rhizoctonia and Sclerotinia and Southern blight (Sclerotium rolfsii) on tomato, pepper and eggplant.
- · Fontelis has received a label for many vegetables including brassicas (Alternaria, gray mold, powdery mildew, Sclerotinia); tomato and other fruiting vegetables (early blight, gray mold, powdery mildew, Septoria leaf spot, etc.); Leafy vegetables (Alternaria, Cercospora, Septoria, etc.); Legume crops (Alternaria, anthracnose, Ascochyta, Botrytis, etc.); and some root vegetables (early blight, Cercospora leaf spot, Sclerotium rolfsii, etc.)
- · Luna Experience has received a label for use on watermelon in DE and the label is pending in MD. Diseases on the label include gummy stem blight, anthracnose, and powdery mildew.