A total of five different measurements and calculated values were used to determine a numeric value for each bulb and dimmer combination (including different dimmer settings/curves/profiles available on some dimmer models). These bulb-dimmer interactions included:
- Linearity Score– as measured by correlation coefficient R2 of the lamp lumen output when dimmed from 100 to 0 in increments of 10%
- Re-fire – after a lamp is dimmed to 0, then dimmer setting is increased in increments of 1.0 until bulb produces human visible light
- Medium performance scale- (Projected vs Actual Lumen Output at 50% dimmer setting)
- Accuracy of lumen output at 50% = lumen output at 50% dimmer setting ÷ (MLO x 0.5)
- Low performance scale- (Projected vs Actual Lumen Output at 20% dimmer setting)
- Accuracy of lumen output at 20% = lumen output at 20% dimmer setting ÷ (MLO x 0.2)
- Lumen output efficiency- measured at 50% = lumens per watt at 50% dimmer setting
- MLO =Maximum measured lumen output at 100% dimmer setting
The ideal score would be 100, however no bulb-dimmer combination scored this high. Bulbs performed differently with different dimmers & with different profiles (curves) of the same dimmer. Dimmers can alter bulb light output & efficiencies.
Other instructions- Clicking on the name of a lamp or dimmer will retrieve a PDF associated with that item for further information. Clicking on the chart button at the end of a row associated with a lamp/ dimmer combination will display associated graphs.